From:
Shirley Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 07:00:37 +1100
For any who may remember Toes, my catatonic biter, and Sabrina, my
obese-and-still-gaining girl; an update.

Once Toes got past her extreme fear of hands which had caused her to lapse
into a coma, she showed us her extraordinary character.  By far the most
intelligent ferret I have ever come across, she is also loving, playful,
sociable with other ferrets and everything a ferret can be as well as
being very fit and healthy.  When I took in Parker, an unclaimed, found,
entire male ferret who was also one of the most wonderful ferrets I have
ever rescued, there seemed to be only one course of action.  Toes came
into season and the pair were allowed a "rendezvous" together.  Toes is
due to give birth on the 4th of January.  (For those who may be concerned
about overpopulation of ferrets, this is occurring in Western Australia
where there is no such danger.)

Although I have had boarders and rescue ferrets give birth in my home,
this is the first time I have deliberately bred, so it is with great
delight that we anticipate the arrival of Toes' and Parker's sons and
daughters.

Despite being on a diet, Sabrina grew to such an immense size that she
could do no more than drag herself around and in an effort to halt her
weight gain, her vet bravely sterilised her and she was started on thyroid
tablets.  So far she has lost a massive 750 grams and is already able to
run, dance and play.  What a joy it is to once more have her lick my ankle
as I stand in the kitchen and invite me to play.  She can even run through
the tubes in the lounge room once more.

Thank you to all of the FMLers who gave info, ideas and support during
these two special little girls' trying times.

Love & Dooks,
Shirley.