From:
Dani Lucking <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 12:04:45 -0600
As a horticulturist, I have about 80 houseplants.  Some of them just need a
place to stay until I find a buyer, some have sentimental value, and I just
like my plants in general.  The only thing I have found to keep the ferrets
out of the plants is 1.  Keep them off the ground with tables, plantstands,
chairs, shelves, whatever.  Plantstands need to be at least one foot tall
for very large pots to make the pot too tall to reach.  If the pot is not
that large, 2-3' plantstands are necessary.  2.  I keep the ferrets out of
rooms that have plants I can't protect.  At least, I keep them out unless
they are supervised.  Moth balls can deter them long enough for you to stop
them from digging if you are in the room.  As many of us have learned,
though, there is no real stopping a determined ferret.

As far as shelves go, I have glass shelves right under the windowsills so
the plants can get enough light, and wooden shelves on the walls where the
light naturally falls.  There are metal brackets that hold an individual
plant of 8" or less pot size.  They have a clip to hold on to the top of the
pot, and jut out in a mini shelf at the bottom.  They just have a hole in
the back of the metal to hang on the wall by a nail or screw.  These are
great for having plants up high enough not to be bothered, but take up
little room and are pretty inexpensive.

Hope this helps.
Dani