From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:34:16 -0400
a poster wrote:
>1 drenatrophin PMG
>1 Pancreatrophin
>1 Immuplex
>500 units Vitamin C
>6 Vitamin E gelcaps
>Pet Tinic
>1 Livaplex
>1 tsp Brewers yeast
>3 inch long Hairball remedy strip
>1tbs honey or karo syrup

etc.

Honestly, that and the rest of the compound SCARES me.  I can imagine
rebound scurvy risks, the chromium in Brewers Yeast is the opposite of
what is needed for insulinoma since chromium lowers blood glucose levels,
the pancreas can "become used" to other things taking over its job in
part and then the compounds may be needed forever, ditto intestinal
flow, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

And that poster also wrote:
>or feed twice a day by syringe

That also scares me.  Aspiration pneumonia is an extremely dangerous
problem and syringe feeding is a common cause.  There are many things
written in many places by very knowledgeable folks (usually listed under
topics like "feeding a sick ferret" which also go into the risks of
aspiration pneumonia from syringe feeding.

Not descenting is NOT scary: one fewer surgical procedure, less risk
of a botched descenting and the complications that can cause, no real
difference in odor usually once they are neutered, the poofs wash off
easily with soap and water or dissipate on their own within 15 minutes
but are worse if an infection is present.  Downsides: some ferrets do
get infections requiring them to be removed later.