From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 08:25:14 -0500
>Regarding Zoo`s policy on adoption--we have discussed this, many times
>before, on other boards.  Zoo`s does not adopt out.  We stand by our
>mission statement.We provide a permanent safe haven for abused,
>abandoned, mistreated, elderly, and unwanted ferrets.

This is so sad to me.  I have never understood how someone can think that
an animal can get the attention it needs and craves by being one of 40 or
50 or more.  I understand the need to be very careful with "special
needs" animals but to totally close your mind to adoption is doing a
disservice to them, IMO.  Anyone who thinks that no one else can provide
what they can is being unfair to the animals in their charge.  Many of
us have the capabilities to care for animals with special needs.

I am not a shelter.  I take in strays, abandoned, etc.  ferrets.  I have
seen them come in flea-infested, mite infested, malnourished, scared to
death, and in definite need of medical attention.  With just a day or
two of special attention, I have seen them blossom into happy ferrets,
following me all over the house like a puppy.  Because I don't have "too
many" ferrets, I can give them a lot of individual attention.  With just
a little more time, they are healthy.  I don't have any special powers.
If I can do it, others can too.  Why not give the little one a chance to
be in a home where they can get more attention?  Why not place them where
they can get immediate medical attention, not be put on a waiting list?

Most ferrets I get have an unknown history.  I have no idea whether they
have been abused or neglected, though I can form an opinion about it
based on their behavior.  I could post dramatic stories about their past.
In the end, what matters most is their future.

To each his own.  And, lest anyone think this is some sort of personal
attack, take a look in the archives.  I've posted about this very same
issue before.  I have always questioned why so many ferrets are labeled
as "unadoptable".  Some of the more successful shelters will tell you
that there is no such thing as an unadoptable ferret.  It just requires
a little more work to make the right match.

Katharine