Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2007 23:02:35 -0400
We've had our three ferrets for about 4 months, and since we got them
from a shelter, we don't know their exact ages, but Morphy (male) is
about 1-1/2 years old, Trinny (female) somewhere around 4, and Baby
Girl somewhere around 1-1/2 or 2.

Trinny and Morphy have always wrestled playfully, with Trinny usually
getting the better of Morphy. Neither was ever aggressive toward the
other and the wrestling included very little biting, and what biting
they did was light and playful. Over the last week or so Morphy is
getting more aggressive and following Trinny around much of the time
that they are out of the cage, either sniffing at her behind or
occasionally making an aggressive bite on her neck. We've also
noticed a couple of little marks on her behind that look like they
could be bite marks, but we don't know for sure, and they seem to
be superficial. Trinny keeps trying to run away from Morphy, whereas
in the past she's always wrestled and played with him.

As far as I know, both are neutered, but I can't tell for sure with
Trinny. I'm wondering if it's possible that she was never neutered, and
may be in heat, which is causing Morphy's fairly aggressive behavior
toward her. He does not display the same behavior toward Baby Girl, and
is almost ignoring her now at playtime. When all 3 go back into the
cage together, all of the aggression stops and they curl up together
and go to sleep. Any ideas on what could be causing this recent change
in behavior from Morphy? Could it be a way of establishing dominance
over Trinny, who, being older, had assumed a 'mothering' role over the
other two since we adopted them all.

Thanks,

Jeff
Remembering Neo