From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 1999 11:41:18 -0400
Hooray for Mary and Eric of Modern Ferret and Nina and the others in
A Ferret Club on Long Island!!!!!

Last night (Thursday) on the ten o'clock news Steve saw a report about a
home in Oyster Bay which was being condemned and the owners charged with
animal cruelty.  Steve saw a few dogs and cats removed but saw what he
described as "loads and loads of ferrets" and he said the reporter
mentioned that since there were over 100 animals the animal control people
said that with so many they would certainly have to destroy a hefty number
because it would too hard to place them all.  He called out to me in the
kitchen, and despite the hour being late I called Eric and Mary at Modern
Ferret to let them know since they have so many contacts.  Mary and Eric
were still up doing special mailings to remind NYC area folks about the
upcoming JUNE THIRD HEALTH DEPT HEARING IN NYC which could make things
either better or worse for ferret and their owners in NYC (so a polite and
large turnout by the ferret community is essential).  As soon as we hung up
they called Nina.  Nina and A Ferret Club even before noon on Friday had
already arranged with the town of Oyster Bay to NOT destroy any ferrets
which get through the required quarantine period because the club is
getting members to provide homes for ALL of them!!!!!

The world and the ferret community are lucky to have such wonderful people
who care so much for ferrets that they saved so many on short notice, and
isn't it great that Mary and Eric stayed up working to help folks in
NYC?!!!!!  What a marvelous community ferret people make!