From:
Bruce Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 22:32:26 -0700
To Deborah Andelin:

>I purchased Taz June 18, 1994, when he was 4 months old from a pet store in
>Las Vegas, Nevada.  When I took him for his vaccinations last summer, I
>requested that the vet give him a CBC and Glucose Blood tests at that
>time...  I realize the tests will not be able to screen for all ferret
>related diseases, I am hoping that in the event that they do become ill that
>the vet will be able to notice any changes from the previous tests.  I would
>like to continue having these tests done on both of them every year when
>they have their vaccinations, regardless of age.  Am I paranoid?

    It's great that cost is no object.  I wish all owners had this
philosophy.

    Giving a yearly CBC and glucose in ferrets under 3 years that are healthy
is probably not really necessary.  While baseline data is good - we have
normal vaues for ferrets of every age, and the glucose test is so labile as a
result of eating patterns, dietary intake etc., that one glucose test doesn't
really establish a good baseline.

    There is nothing wrong with what you are doing - but it may be a bit of
overkill.

Bruce Williams, DVM, DACVP                                   Dept. of
Veterinary Pathology
AccuPath
Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
[log in to unmask]  OR                                 Washington, D.C.
20306-6000
(202) 782-2600