From:
Todd Cromwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 13:22:12 -0500
I talked today to Pat Sproule ("Sprowl") of Clark County Animal Control
in Las Vegas.  Office is (702) 455-7710.

It turns out, that, as before, the information that was posted was
incorrect.  The situation is:

A ferret licensing bill, with which Animal Control was involved, was
passed yesterday, but it is different than we were led to believe by a
recent post.  Note it applies to unincorporated Clark County, not the
cities of Boulder (City?), Henderson, and North Las Vegas, which may
have their own ordinances.

This is all my memory and notes, so if you really care, you might
check this.
---------

1) Ferrets must get rabies shots, by Nevada State Law, just like dogs
and cats.

2) There is now a mandatory license.  The licensing is meant to help
enforce #1.  I'm not sure exactly how this works.

3) The license fee for ferrets is the same as for cats:
        1 year license
        $  4 for spayed animal
        $ 10 for non-spayed animal

At any rate the $100 mentioned was inaccurate (that or something like
it was however in the dangerous animal ordinance, which suggested or
enacted a $100 fee and proof of adequate control to keep an animal
which had been deemed as vicious by a judge (because, say it had
savaged several people, *after the fact*).

4) Ferrets must be confined indoors (or on leash if outside).

5) There is no maximum number of ferrets allowed (I think that was on
the basis of #4).  Cats have a maximum number allowable, 6 for
non-fanciers permit, 12 for fanciers permit ($25 (per year?)).

6) There are no surprise inspections.  For cat fancier's permits, there
is a (prescheduled) appoinment yearly.

7) If a "bite ferret" has a vaccination, it will be quarantined in
your home for 10 days, just the same as cats.  Unvaccinated ferrets
will still be killed, she thinks.
---------

I haven't finished pondering what I think of legislation like this.  I
might entertain the idea it is understandable and maybe even arguably
reasonable (that is, at least not completely insane), BUT:

I tend to want the government out of my affairs, and wonder if this kind of
thing goes too far.  Also, $4 per year animal could still be a bit high if
you have a lot of animals.  Also, it is yet one more burden from the
goverment.  Also, I don't know that I want the government, goverment
records and power, and attendant beauracracy surrounding yet another thing
in my life.  Finally, it's not clear that the epidemiology of rabies in
their area warrants this kind of thing.  Anyway it is not as bad as we were
led to believe (not as steep price, not discriminatory over dogs and cats).

Todd Cromwell
Dors and Seldon