From:
John Kincaid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 22:56:02 -0400
Dear

Below the stars is an expert from an e-mail that was received from our
health unit.  It makes reference to a protocol which was developed by the
CDC in Atlanta.  I thought it was worth posting for this reason rather than
to just the Ontario members.

When I get the complete Act and references to it I will post them.

If you feel you cannot post what is below I will understand and wait
until I get a complete reference.

Thank you

John.

Hello fellow FMLers
Below was taken from an Update to Policy Concerning Ferret Biting
incidents(Ontario Canada)

Should it be determined that the bite is considered "provoked" e.g.
petting, feeding, playing etc.  and the bite is not serious and the ferret
appears healthy at the time of inspection, a 30 day observation would be
warranted.  The ferret would be released pending confirmation of health at
the end of the observation period.  Human rabies post exposure treatment
should not be initiated during the interim.  This policy is in keeping with
a similar protocol developed by CDC, Atlanta concerning rare or expensive
or endangered animal species.

If at any time the ferret appears ill during the inspection or observation
period, a federal veterinarian should be asked to assist with a clinical
diagnosis.  If the veterinarian suspects rabies the ferret should be
sacrificed for examination of the brain at the Agriculture and Agri-Food
Canada laboratory and rabies post exposure treatment initiated.

If the bite is serious; a bite to the head or neck, the ferret should be
sacrificed for laboratory confirmation and rabies post exposure treatment
initiated.  The rationale is that the incubation period for rabies in such
an incident could be as short as 10 to 12 days.

If the bite is considered unprovoked, in other words the bite cannot be
explained by reason other than disease, similar recommendations for a"
serious bite" would apply.

For the fuzzies
John