From:
Mark Zmyewski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 1999 22:25:31 -0500
Hi,

[log in to unmask] stated that Aleutian disease among ferrets is rare
unless exposure to mink has occurred.  I'm not so sure this is a true
statement.  We have seen several ferrets here that have tested positive
for Aleutian disease.  I know of a shelter that is closed due to the high
occurrance in their area.

I am not sure where this is coming from, but I have a hunch that if all
of you tested your ferrets, we would find that a lot of them would test
positive.  I once spoke to Dr. Williams about this and he said that
appearance of signs of the disease could take up to two years from the
date of exposure.  I have not done any research on this recently, but this
really scares me.

I am going to try to approach the pet stores here about getting their
ferrets tested.  However, what would this accomplish?  The local Petco
stores see ferrets as "merchandise" that needs to be "moved", so I am sure
this would have no impact.

To make matters worse, the last time I spoke to Dr. Williams, he said that
there are no plans from the vaccine manufacturers to develop a vaccine.
This information is about a year old, so things may have changed.

In my opinion, Aleutian disease should not be dismissed as a "rare"
disease.

I hope I am wrong.

-Mark Zmyewski
 Cloud Nine Ferrets