Date:
Sun, 27 Jan 2008 04:17:06 EST
>I just don't get PETA and never will. They pick on a pet business,
>that by comparison of most in this country, adequately cares for most
>animals. They don't reward them for doing a job better than others. And
>the real criminals, the smaller chains and heck even the inconsistent
>PetCo's are given a free ride. Everyone will now freak out and go
>running to PetCo who is no better and is worse, as well as to other
>stores who can be horrendously worse.

Petco and PETA "made friends" a couple years ago. So no surprise there.
They "reached an agreement" and PETA will no longer attack Petco.
According to their website:

"PETA will end its boycott of PETCO and its protests at the company's
stores. In agreeing to end its campaign against PETCO, PETA will take
down its "PETCOCruelty" website, remove all references to "PETNO" on
all sites affiliated with the organization, and withdraw its support
of the use of the "PETNO" logo by other groups."
http://www.peta.org/feat/PETCOAgreement/default.asp

Just so happens that when the Petco boycott ceased, their Petsmart
boycott began. Before that they had no specific campaign against
Petsmart or any other chain, just Petco. I am guessing their is far
more to their deal than what has been made public, since PETA doesn't
just back off that easily.

PETA, as an Animal Rights group does not support breeding, selling or
buying of animals period. Not for any reason. They don't want to
"eliminate overbreeding", they want to eliminate breeding. They view
pets as "slaves" and openly talk about hoping for a future where pets
and farm animals no longer exist. That is their long term goal and
everything they do is with that goal in mind. It isn't really about
Petsmart. It isn't really about the animals either.

All of their campaigns, boycotts and info having to do with pets
focuses on cruelty towards them in some manner. In the case of this
video, it is them yet again portraying how evil people who breed and
sell animals are. They wish to plant in people's minds the idea that
the breeding/selling of animals is cruel and that people who are
involved with it are evil. They then support restrictive ownership and
breeding laws ,some of which outlaw or nearly outlaw certain pets or
the keeping of intact animals for any reason. Because of repeated
exposure to AR and media propaganda combined with ignorance, people
feel that such laws are "for the best". Next thing you know you're
living in Louisville and the new laws all but make you into a criminal
if you happen to want to keep an intact pet over 4 months old.

It is actually a sure fire formula - Organization puts out a shocking
video, creates public outrage and the public calls for "something to be
done". Organization looks like the good guy for exposing the bad guy,
"standing up for what's right" and maybe their extreme political stance
seems slightly less extreme to slightly more people.

As for the video it is reminiscent of PETA's attack on Iams, which was
a total sham and all about PETA's campaign against P&G.

Good plan! Like that one. PETA would argue with me, that they do this
because the goal is a much larger one, that is to eliminate the over
breeding, warehousing and sale of animals, at least as it currently
stands.

>... helps the animals HOW?
>
>Wolfy

Are you under the impression that PETA helps animals?

nikki