From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:24:33 -0800
>MF USED to send kits out at an older age than now, but competitors (other
>farms) came in selling younger kits and the stores liked that due to added
>sales days, so MF was forced to also lower their sales age.  By raising
>the age back to where MF used to have it -- at the right age for the first
>CDV vax -- NH COULD (if legislations passes) force MF back to an older age
>for sales to that state and force the competitors which never used the
>older age to begin doing so in that state.  Alicia's effort one which we
>should all be finding ways to support, esp. after learning of the vet
>concern about whether the first CDV vax given before 8 weeks may be
>ineffective and inappropriate.

I totally agree that Alicia's efforts on this, they are going to set an
example that can be used in other states (entire US) and it pleases me
that she is doing this!  Now, all of you who have been complaining, this
is your chance to take action!  I don't have any proof of a distemper
outbreak, so I cannot provide anything from a vet.  What else can I do to
help?  It sounds like Sukie is also brainstorming on this.

The only thing I don't agree with on this post is that petstores like the
early shipping of ferrets.  That is just not the case in my state - store
managers and the DM have even told me that they prefer it didn't happen.
This is what I am trying to talk to Petco corporate about but because
of the holidays, I am giving them more time to return my call prior to
calling them again.  I am guessing that it is the stores' corporate people
and/or "buyers" who have no concept of what is happening.  I also doubt
that the "buyers" of these ferrets at the corporate level have ever
experienced the fruits of their labor.  In talking to Managers at Petco,
I have asked if the "buyers" have ever been present when a batch comes in
too young.  The answer has been "not to my knowledge." Perhaps if these
buyers were the ones who had to receive incoming shipments, they might
change their tune?  I am going to suggest some serious education be done.
All I can do is make suggestions, just like with MF.

Thus far, no return calls or emails from APHIS about regulations and
inspection guidelines for ferret farms.  I am going to have to call them,
I guess.  Email is always preferred to save long distance charges.

Good going Alicia!  I hope everyone helps out.  Please let me know what
I can do to help since I don't have vet records.  The only thing I could
verify is that the kits have come into the stores younger than 8 weeks but
that would only be in my state.  I can ask Petco Managers here if they
would be willing to write letters but the most recent three I talked to
are scared to get involved for fear of losing their jobs.  I will continue
to "push".

Take care all!