From:
Ophelia Hardin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Dec 2007 06:06:48 -0800
>Delta Airlines has fine guidelines for transporting pets within the
>cabin. I know of 2 people who have taken ferrets this way, both were
>well satisfied.
>
> <http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp>

Ah, phoooey! I wrote this poster a note yesterday explaining that I'd
travelled the same route (CMH > STL) a little more than a year ago with
*2* ferrets on Delta, paid $50.00 bucks for the privilege, and managed
to wrangle a free upgrade to 1st to "avoid all the commotion" by
dressing well and behaving nicely.

So now Delta has changed their "official" policy. BFD. (Big Effing
Deal). I'd plan for the worst and hope for the best. Have someone
sitting curbside if, and ONLY if, it becomes truly necessary to
off-load one of the cats.

Otherwise, sedate the damn felines, cover the cage, and be as nice as
you can. It's all in the salesmanship. If you can squash 2 fat cats in
a carrier box and convince them they won't make a ruckus -- or better
yet, don't let them on to the fact that there's even more than one in
the box -- they (those nice people behind the counter and gate) will
probably let you slide.

And really -- DO ask for an upgrade to business or "something" to
"avoid all the commotion". The LAST thing the airline staff wants is
a commotion or delay in getting the plane loaded. If they have a seat
free, I'll bet they'd be happy to give it to you.

****

Now for a small gripe: why is it when I bother to personally reply to a
question on the FML, 4 times out of 5 I don't get so much as a thanks?
Folks, if you can't think of anything better to say; a plain, simple,
_one-line_ "thanks for the thought (or tip)" feels SOOO much better
than nothing at all. Try it -- I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

And now a question for Sukie, she who is not a vet: What is with the
ferrets and benzodiazepine metabolism? When I took that flight I told
the vet I wanted tranquilizers for the ferts and she prescribed Valium
(diazepam). That sounded about right with me; except for the dose. I
think I ended up giving 1.25 mg to my 1.5 lb. girl not once, but twice!
That's what the vet prescribed, and believe me, that's what she needed.
I can't imagine what that dose, as a percent of body weight, would do
to a hoomin, but she fared just fine and snapped out of it within 12
hours.

Ophelia

Getting off my high horse about now... :D