From:
"J. Wolfe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 12:16:33 -0700
Welp...a friend just got 2 European ferrets...from Sweden, I believe..and an
Angora ferret.

These babies (literally) are humongous!  At 8 to 10 weeks, they are larger
than my 4 year old male!

I have never seen an Angora before..I don't know that the luxurious (sp?)
coat makes them worth all that much more, but...it sure is soft!  And, I am
sure that when the little (sic) ferret is an adult, it will be something to
behold.

One observation, although no basis for fact other than what is immediate
(Follow that?  You'd better, it is election year!), the Euro ferrets appear
to be much more aggressive than our ferts...I have a number of holes in my
hands to prove it!  One of his new babies is a pastel and is a very
aggressive biter.  Curls its lips back and clicks at you as it is gnawing
off your digit!  Bitter apple and gloves, here we come!  This little feller
has no mask to speak of but VERY expressive eyes...I just love that 'I am
ready to get into mischief' look that they can so well portray..almost makes
it worth while to temp fate and dangle a loose digit in front of him!  Let
me tell you, when he bites, he puts everything into the chomp!  He is not
mouthing...he grabs hold and rips his head back and forth!

In all fairness to his critters, they are new...just finished a cross
country airline trip and in strange surroundings....reason enough to be a
bit aggressive.  I well imagine that they will tame down in no time.

If one is considering keeping a Euro ferret, and is going to use a cage as
the primary containment device, use a BIG one..none of these little
jobs..just not enough room for the larger size..upwards to 7 pounds I am
told.  WHEW!!!  **THAT** is big.  (Er...large...sorry BIG!)

As for appearances..One obvious (to me) difference between the Euro ferrets
and the American ferret is the face.  Euro ferrets have much longer,
pointier (is that a word??) heads.  (I guess so they can better bite me!
<GRIN>) But..rest assured ferret fans, 'Dey is still just da cutest litter
stinkers......'

Joe
<Billy and Garret chiming together: He **looked** at another ferret..see
if we tell him where we have hidden his 'going to the mean woman with
long sharp pokey things, mountain' push in and make noise key thingies.>