From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:58:03 -0500
We are seeing many ferrets with the flu.  Most ferret owners know that
ferrets catch human flu and colds.Flu symptoms include lethargy, a stuffy,
runny nose and reduction of appetite (mostly because of a stuffed up nose).
We keep the ferret warm, give amoxicillin to prevent further bronchial
involvement, hand feed if needed, enforce cage rest and put one drop of
human nose drops in each nostril.  It may take as long as 2 weeks for full
recovery.  The current flu does not seem to be life threatening.  It hits
some ferrets harder than others, but all recover with tender care.

Another note: we have a good ferret home available in Massachusettes.
Anyone having ferrets for adoption in that area, please let us know and we
will forward the information.  We need color, age, and sex.  This person
may take one or a pair--maybe even three if they are pals.

Ferret Rescue of the Western States, Colorado Springs