Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 21:08:09 -0500
>I coulda (yes, coulda is a word, lol) sworn that I had read that rabies
>vaccines were good for three years... but the reason why they are truly
>recommeded every year is due to the fear that the public wouldn't
>remember them as well.  This also gives the animal opportunity to have
>regular exams.  I thought I read a paper on this associated with
>Georgia... gosh, my memory is crap.

>I thought I had read that the distemper vaccine was only good for a
>year, but that there has not been a great amount of research with
>ferrets in this area to know this for absolute fact.

The vet clinic I work for only sees dogs and cats, but I thought our
vaccine protocol may be of interest for comparison purposes:

Kittens and adult cats w/ unknown vaccination history receive a 1 year
Purevax rabies vaccine.  After two consecutive YEARLY Purevax shots (9-12
months apart), they are eligible for the Imrab3 vaccine, which is a 3
year vaccine and what they will continue to receive every 3 years for
life.

Puppies and dogs follow the same rabies vaccine protocol, with the
exception that the Purevax is not used on them at all.  Instead, the
Imrab3 is used consecutively for 2 years, then every 3 years thereafter.

The Purevax rabies vaccine is never given as a 3 year vaccine (at least
where I work).

Adult dogs and cats receive their respective distemper (CVR for cats and
Da2PPV for dogs) vaccines every year EXCEPT the year in which the 3 year
rabies vaccine is given.  We prefer NOT to vaccinate for distemper on the
same year as for rabies.

The owner of our clinic has had nearly 30 years of experience and
has NEVER encountered a case of distemper or parvo (Da2PPV includes
parvovirus immunization) in an animal that was vaccinated only two out of
every three years.  On the other hand, he has coped with NUMEROUS vaccine
reactions when vaccinating for rabies and distemper in the same year,
even when the shots were given two weeks to a month apart.

Please note that each state/commonwealth has its own laws regarding
rabies vaccines and that these laws MUST play a large role in determining
vaccination protocols in clinics (regardless of how unscientific and/or
outdated they may be).

Joli