From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 19:27:57 -0400
Hello Everyone!

Kaluah, welcome to your new home!  How lucky for you that your new Mommy
happened by when she did!!  Glad to hear how happy your life is now!!

I hope Nikki has been located by now!  That would be a long game of hide
and seek!!  It is a good idea to get your ferrets to respond to a loud
sound (ie squeek toy or can rattle) to help you find them if they're ever
lost.  I've trained mine to come (usually!) to a whistle.  I used to
whistle when they were in sight, and then get the treats out - of course
they'd head right over.  Soon they learned whistle means treats.  What
fuzzie wouldn't come running for that?!  My older ferret also comes to
her name, although often instead of coming to me she'll just stick her
head out of wherever she was hiding so I can see where she is!!

I've heard if a ferret is lost in the house to make a list of ten places
that they absolutely couldn't be.  Then check those places!!

Ferret socializing: I forgot the oldest trick in the book!  (it's now
working here!!) When an established fuzzie is beating up on a new one,
simply put some ferretone on the new fuzzies neck.  They usually accept
the fuzzie (or at least stop terrorizing him/her).

Cute note: I had my stressed ferret at my parents house the other day, so
they could hand feed her duck soup while I was at work.  I still keep dry
food out for her as an option.  When it was time to head home she watched
me pour the dry food into a bag.  She then took the bowl as I put it down
and ran with it (very funny looking).  She tucked the bowl safely away on a
low shelf then ran back and forth picking up the few pieces that had fallen
from it and putting them back in the hidden bowl!!  She's not that neat at
home!!

[RI]