From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 24 May 1994 10:45:00 -0400
Lyn  (and others who have lost loved ones) -
My condolences.  Last year I lost 2 ferrets to cancer,
my 14 yr old white shepherd to kidney failure and my 16
yr old mutt because she just gave up after Shylow was
put to sleep.  During my time of mourning I came up
with this poem.  Hope it helps you too.

                       A Pet's Goodbye
                     by Troy Lynn Eckart

I've lived a full and happy life,
You've protected me from strife.

You've given me all that you could,
Even when times weren't very good.

You've always kept my belly full with foods I like to eat,
And kept me sheltered from winter's cold and cool in summer's heat.

You've lovingly cared for me throughout the years,
And when I'm gone you're sure to cry a million tears.

Whether it be by necessity or naturally,
In your decision I trust faithfully.

So grateful for your love am I, it's difficult to say goodbye,
But now my friend it's time to die, and its you that must let go, not I.

For I am going to a place where I may watch over you from above,
Where I'll forever feel the full radiance of our very special love.

Clint -
Might not be earmites - may be fleas.  Easiest way to
check for earmites is to buy an inexpensive earscope
(under $15) and either gently look in the ear - be very
careful not to go too far in cause you could damage
eardrum -  (if your ferret will stand for this) or the
safest way is to look at the swab after cleaning the
ears.  If you see teeny-tiny white bugs - you have ear
mites.  Although earmites are more common in the ear area
they can be found also in the fur.  Don't panic - they're
harmless to us.  Running a rescue I see plenty of
incoming fuzzies with earmites.  What type of medicine
did you use?

Now if this is flea dirt you should be able to spot a
flea or two if you look diligently.  Fleas spend little
time on the animal (or so I've been told) but they like
to hide under arms and back legs.  Most ferrets aren't
allergic to fleas like dogs and cats so your ferret can
be infested before you even know it.  Look for a flea
spray that contains pyrethrins and is safe for kittens.
Spray into your hands and then rub the ferret - do not
spray the ferret (they hate this!).  Avoid the eye and
genital area but be sure to get around the ears.  Be
extremely careful not to overdose your ferret.  Whether
it's earmites or fleas - best to ask your vet if you
aren't sure.