From:
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:37:28 -0800
>From:    liz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Colloidal silver for ferts

Sorry to be seeming to jump down your throat out of the blue but this topic
comes up every year.  However nothing yet has been discovered that changes
one basic fact.

Quoting from FDA Veterinarian March/April 1997 Vol. XII, No. II
http://www.fda.gov/cvm/fda/infores/fdavet/1997/397fdavet.html

  FDA is not aware of any substantial scientific evidence that supports the
  safe and effective use of colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts
  for any animal disease condition.

and another bit to remember...

  In addition to the possible human health concerns, use of these products
  to treat a serious illness in animals (including pets) could potentially
  endanger the health of the animal by delaying timely, appropriate
  treatment.

And ultimately this means

  Colloidal silver-containing products have not been approved by FDA for
  use in any animal species.

Colloidal silver is NOT real medicine.  Its a quack panacea.

Ferrets are extremely good patients and can recover sometimes seemigly
miraculously despite being 'treated' with what almost amounts to poison.

Check back through the FML archives and you will see that I and others have
posted lots of citations against use of colloidal silver.  No credible
evidence of its effective use have been cited other than a few anecdotal
cases.  Soem of the evidence in support has cited organizations
inaccurately to hamper ingestigating the credibilty of the quotes.  Somehow
finally figuring out that an institution was put in the wrong University by
porponents doesn't make me trust that citations.  Others have cited quotes
from authors who have specifically said they did not say what was claimed.
Inane conspiracy theories are used to claim the FDA is in cahoots with the
drug companies to prevent the use of silver.

I have several times challenged any supporter of the use of colloidal
silver to send me any evidence that colloidal silver is safe and effective.

I have never received a single item.  None of the supporters must trust the
evidence enough to let me investigate it.

Oh and a nifty side effect.  It will turn you blue.  Great for halloween.
You can play a zombie without extra makeup.  Well except the discoloration
is permanent so you will play a zombie for Christmas, Hannakah, Easter and
all solstice celbrations.

bill
--
bill and diane killian