From:
"Andrea Miralia (moonferret)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 1994 03:16:41 -0400 (EDT)

<sigh.>

Well, Frito has his second ultrasound today.  (He had his first
ultrasound 4 months ago when we diagnosed the Hypertrophic
Cardiomyopathy.)   Now,  unfortunately, my little boy has an adrenal
tumor, about  a centimeter long.  And, it's near the vein.  So, our vet
here wants to do surgery.  Frito's heart rate has decreased over the
last four months from 270 bpm to a reasonably healthy 150 bpm.  Our vet
thinks he's a "good, but not great" candidate for surgery.  He wants to
do the surgery because of the tumor being so close to the vein (and
doesn't want to leave it there, for fear of rupture or the possibility of
cancer getting into the bloodstream.)  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dr. Williams?  Are there other options?

Also, the vet here has been doing surgery for 12 years.  Now, he does not
have extensive experience with ferrets, but I really like and trust our
vet.  HE's been very helpful and open, and genuinely seems to care about
each of the ferrets.  Should I go with him (if we opt for the surgery)
or should I go with a ferret- knowledgable vet who  does not know us?

I had to make this choice last year, and I went with the more
knowledgable vet.  Unfortunately, that was a poor choice because my
little girl ferret,  kadi, died after surgery without anyone familiar nearby.

So, once again- please give me suggestions!  How dangerous is an adrenal
tumor that's near the vein?  It was not noticable by ultrasound four
months ago, and it is now 1  centimeter long.

How necessary IS the surgery?  I don't want to risk his poor lttle heart...
I'm so scared  of the surgery.  Help!

Anyone recommend any vets in North Carolina?  Or Virginia?

----  [log in to unmask]  (Andrea M.) [log in to unmask]
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye.. of course, then you can
always play with the eye. A WOMAN NEEDS A MAN LIKE A FISH NEEDS A BICYCLE
"We have to do this ancient Maltese ritual.." -DD in JHTL-  **Merry Part!*