From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:49:58 EST
I thought it would be thought provoking to try to come up with things
that were drastically different for ferret owners in the mid eighties and
earlier.  This may really be a chaotic examination because if we list
everything that is totally different ... we are also listing things that
are KNOWN to be very bad for ferrets in the mix.  But one must look at
the picture if you are to look at this at all.

For me, here are a few things that different:

-breeding stock was very different back then
-fitch stock more common in pet ferret stock
-no early neutering
-neutering done near or on first season
-ferrets were less popular equaling no large farm breeding
-pet ferrets were more likely from "back yard breeders"
-pet ferrets were more likely from private breeders
-there was no breeding for fancies on purpose (no blazes, pandas, very
 light colored ferrets), mainly it was just sables and albinos
-cheap cat foods and scraps as meals
-possible restriction of available food source (timed feedings)
-lack of vaccinations
-different types of vaccinations if given
-lack of such things as "Advantage, Frontline, etc"
-is it possible more were raised outside?
-pine shavings as bedding
-smaller living quarters (not to say less roam time however)
-one personal difference for me was they had more total darkness due to
 where their cage was kept and due to living far out in the country as
 compared to the city

Now good grief, I"m embarrassed to say I did the things I did back then.
And I cringed at listing some of these really bad things for fear that
someone might misunderstand me and actually think that I think they are
positive things.  But like I said, one can hardly look at this situation
honestly if you just pick it apart and list things that are thought to be
good in today's times.  And one never knows ... something that may seem
very bad back then, may have a related link to an unknown positive thing.
For example, okay ... maybe the food was indeed "bad" for them after all
upon examination, but..  the consequence of going to the bathroom more,
having more bulk prevented something.  See?  Like a tangent or a
secondary action took place.  I'm a housewife, I dont know these
things... I"m just posing an example.

Soooo I thought it would be really cool to look at this.  :)

Wolfy

Wolfy's site has MOVED to:
http://wolfysluv.jacksnet.com/