Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 06:49:19 -0500
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>
>>It would be founded on the fact that he DOES deprive his animals of
>>necessary sustenance, he DOES confine his animals without sufficient
>>wholesome food and water, and he DOES NOT afford proper access to
>>shelter.

>Except that the ferrets do have food, water and access to shelter.

Are you kidding me? This whole 'rescue' is founded on the fact that
they DO NOT have proper access to shelter (8 to a cage, left out in
freezing conditions???) Does this not qualify as 'cruelty'? What about
frozen and unclean water, improper food, uncared for ferrets that
are sick and dying? Are you suggesting that there is NOT cruelty
being perpetrated over massess of ferrets here? Being crammed into
overcrowded cages and left exposed to killing temperatures does NOT
constitute 'proper shelter'!!!

I suggested yesterday that McKay be pursued with a lawsuit, and in an
extensive post I gave links with the information that I believe backs
the stance that he could be brought up on 1000 counts of animal
cruelty. There is no other way to 'legally' approach this problem,
given lack of specific LOCAL laws. The state-wide animal cruelty laws
are the ones that would back us in a lawsuit against him. And I also
gave links on how to get the Humane Society involved, since they
actually have the authority, according to Ohio Law, to investigate and
actually make arrests if need be. We need a lawyer to initiate a suit,
and that must be done by the person who has been to McKay's, seen the
conditions, and can testify to them. Pictures and video may also be
key, and if in fact the Ohio ASPCA or Humane Society has authority to
investigate, as the law suggests, then more evidence can be obtained.

You can continue to do your best to save one ferret at a time, or you
can try to get a lawyer and hit McKay where he'll feel it... in his
wallet. Each count of animal cruelty, if convicted, would cost him up
to $750. As far as I can see, there's no other way to make extensive
changes to his operation in the near future, or, preferrably, to get
it shut down.

Jeff