From:
Marissa Bonasia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:52:07 EDT
Hey everyone,

I have been corresponding with Vickie McKimmey regarding recent incidents
of abuse at ferret shows.  She has agreed to allow me to compile a list of
guidelines of what consititutes abuse to hand out to vendors at shows.  It
is my hope that by educating people about how others might perceive their
actions, we can prevent such incidences in the future.  Also, it would
provide a frame of reference insomuch that a vendor in violation of the
guidelines would have already been made aware of what is inappropriate
thereby facilitating disciplinary action by the organization responsible
for the show.

Also, I think a policy should be implemented whenever allegations of abuse
at ferret shows arise.  I don't think it's fair to point out the accuser to
the abuser.  If the case gets as far as a court of law, then the accused
has the right to face their accuser.  However, in the meantime, the person
who reported the abuse should be protected.  I am deeply concerned that did
not happen this last instance.

My point here is that I would like assistance in compiling a list of some
basic "do's and don't s" for ferret shows.  This way there will be no more
gray area when accusations are made.

If you have any suggestions please email me.  Thanks.

--Marissa