From:
bs906431 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 21:31:14 +0200
Hi all

A few days ago I launched the question about the pricetag on a typical
Marshall ferret.  A few FML'ers responded, and people do I got news for
you!  In the mails I received the prices were ranging from 80 to 150$.
Here in Belgium it seems like American ferrets are worth their weight in
gold.  The first batch that was brought in the country were sold at a price
beginning at 150$ for a simple sable.  (to try out if there were any
takers?) At the following deliveries the price quickly rose to start at
+200$ for your average sable ferret.  It seems that the sky is the limit
once you start talking about something a bit more out of the ordinary.
(for the moment there's a ferret that should bring in +500$ !!) I suppose
the overpricing has something to do with the possible healthissues you get
for free with an American ferret (ECE, adrenals, insulinoma, lymphosarcoma).
No need to flame me on this, I'm just using the words of some of the more
knowledgeable people here on the list when they discribed the difference
between American and European ferrets.  I've been lurking for over a year.

The pricing isn't actually none of my business wouldn't it be that there is
more to be known...

The ferrets are been sold by the same people that run one of the 3
Belgian ferret clubs/shelters and own a pet store where they sell lots of
ferretstuff and all the activities are run under one and the same roof.
Kinda hard to draw a distinct line between all the activities ain't it?
One way or an other, once ferrets get involved in the end they're always
the ones making big profits.

All this to point out that all this money-making-business is run under
the pretension of "real ferretlove".  ("real money"love would be more
appropriate) One more thing to take in account is the fact that the shelter
part of the business is constantly flooded with strays and rejects in
search of a good home. :-<

Sorry, just got to let off some steam!

Stef