From:
Leonard Bottleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 1995 09:53:40 -0800
We have 2 parrots in our home, as well as 7 ferrets and 4 cats.  The cats
and ferrets get along just fine, as do the cats and parrots.  The ferrets
and parrots DO NOT MIX.

Our #1 rule of the house is that no parrot will be out of her cage while
a ferret is out.  Once, and only once we had Rima out on her perch when Moki,
our small black eyeed white, was out.  Rima was left alone for 30 seconds,
which turned out to be 29 seconds too long for her, so she flew off of her
perch and landed on the floor.  Moki heard the commotion (unlike owls, parrots
are anything but silent flyers), sped into the room and immediately attacked
Rima.  Fortunately, Rima only lost a few feathers, and Moki didn't get bit
(parrots can crack open almonds, brazil nuts, and bones with their beaks)
before we seperated them.  All but two of our ferrets are eager to get "up at"
the parrots, and the parrots always want to lunge at the ferrets.  There's
little doubt that either bird or weasel would die in such an encounter
(probably the bird).

KEEP THEM APART.

On the other hand, when Rima flies down on the floor and walks past our
cats, the felines don't even twitch a whisker.  I don't recomendend allowing
cats and parrots together either, but it shows that each animal reacts
differently, and there's no way to predict what's going to happen until
it's (usually) too late.

Leonard Bottleman       [log in to unmask]
                        http://www.teleport.com/~leonard/