Date:
Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:18:22 +0000
Inge Nespolon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Okay, I have read the pros and cons of raw feeding.
>
>My question is, is there anybody out there that had serious health
>problems, confirmed by a veterinarian, with their ferrets because
>of it?

I have been raw feeding about 30 ferrets, 3 cats, 2 dogs and 2 skunks in
the last 5 1/2 years and not once have I encountered problems like food
poisoning.  Not even sick ferrets with a compromised immune system got
sick from raw meat.  I feed chicken, turkey, beef and rabbit and
sometimes lamb.  But mainly chicken and beef.  And raw egg yolks (which
I eat raw myself, too).

When I started feeding raw, I did a lot of research, joined numerous raw
feeding lists, read raw feeding web pages and bought books, and all I
could find was amazing health benefits.  I read so many stories from
raw feeders, with actual experience and not hypothetical theories, about
how raw feeding benefited their animals.  As long as you feed fresh
meat which is good enough for human consumption.  I think a lot of the
problems associated with raw feeding stems from the old days when people
would put a carcass in with their ferrets without knowing how fresh it
was and then leaving it in with the ferrets for days.

Ulrike