From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 06:42:36 EDT
>From:    "Benjamin A. Otten" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Purcell Ferret Book
>Great another useless book for veterinarians to spend money on.  If it
>is truely usable to the lay person then "Essentials of pet ferrets -
>A Veterinarian's guide for ferret owners would have been a better title.
>However, if this is a true veterinary book than I would suggest most
>veterinarians would be wiser to invest a few extra dollars and purchase
>Fox's ferret book.  Or if they are planning on practicing on other pockets
>pets, then the Hillyer/Quesenberry book would a wise expenditure of $60
>(two exam fee's and most vets have made up this loss.)

>Benjamin A. Otten, DVM
>The Animal Medical Center

Wow!  A little quick off the mark with a negative diagnosis of the Purcell
book -- just based on the title.  It is standard practice for intelligent
people to actually read the entire book before making critical judgements.
What a novel concept -- critique a book based on the title.  Don't bother
reading the book first -- what a waste of time that would be.  Instead,
just take a look at the title, and maybe the dust jacket and decide on the
spot that the book is bad.

Is there something wrong with a book that is usable by a lay person?  I
have never thought of the cost of any reference book as a "loss" to be
made up.  Instead, I have always seen such expenditures as an investment
that pays off as soon as I start using it.

Personally, I don't like, nor trust, professionals who view procedures
and/or their services in terms of dollars and cents -- one exam fee equals
lunch today; two exam fees equals one book; ten exam fees equals a car
payment, etc.

F. Scott Giarrocco