From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:16:17 -0600
Dear Debbie,

Your post (15 Feb 2000 to 16 Feb 2000 (#2000-2961)) was not addressed to
me, yet I felt a twinge of almost angry frustration when I read it.  I have
to ask, do you have children?

I'm so glad you have the books on ferret care.  I especially like Bell's
book.  To me, this means you really care about fuzzies enough to be
informed.

I've found that having ferrets is a lot like having children.  There are
innumerable books of facts, opinions, and psychologies on the proper care,
feeding, & nurturing.  Unfortunately, not all answers are in black and
white and there is no consistent, accurate scale by which to measure most
of their problems.  Temperature: a thermometer, upset tummy: poop
appearance, Stress:..... well, the big kid has been swiping his lunch money
and he's so ashamed of his weakness that he doesn't want to tell me... did
you think I was talking about ferrets?  How did I know he was stressed...
what symptoms did he have... he was cranky, he sneaked to get extra treats
after school that he knew I wouldn't allow, he was sullen if I if petted
him or asked if something was wrong.  If he'd been a ferret, he might have
lost some hair or nipped as well...

It all means... that each ferret, like each child (my other child stomped
the bully & got 3 days of detention), is different.  I'm not a vet, just
a Dr. Mom.  My boys are grown and on their own now and non the worse for
having been my medical school.

Debi Christy