From:
Russell Prater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:31:32 -0600
>From:    Washington Filho-Brasil <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ear cleaning
>
>Hello again!  Anyone with tips on how to clean ferrets' ears ?  I have
>tried many times but they simply won't let me.  They always bite and try
>to get away !  What can I do ?  How often do I need to clean their ears ?

There are several ways to clean a ferrets ears.  Most of the time, I clean
ears when I give a bath.  I wet the ear and put a drop of shampoo on it.
Then I rub the ear vigorously and then I wipe the pocket and the outer ear
with a Q-tip.  Some folks will tell you it is dangerous to put a Q-tip in
a ferret's ear, but there is no way you are going to touch the ear drum
with a Q-tip.  Just be sure you wet the Q-tip before putting it inside the
ear as dry cotton is a bit abrasive.  Finally I rinse the ear and let the
ferret shake it out a couple of times.

The other way I clean ears is to use an ear cleaning solution.  I warm
it to ferret body temp first.  I put a couple drops in an ear, rub the
outside of the ear well and let the ferret shake it out.  I wet the tip
of a Q-tip and wipe the dirt out of the pocket and the crevases of the
outer ear.  Then I do the same for the other ear.

How often you need to do it depends on the ferret and how it lives.  With
my crew, once a month is plenty.  Yours may need it more or less often.
Just look at the ear and if it is cruddy, clean it.

--
Russ, Booger, Bonnie & Clyde

URA Redneck if you've ever been on television not wearing a shirt.