Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2010 13:25:00 -0500
I was in contact with the poster of this thread about this and I forget
who it was! Sorry. I didn't dig around a lot to find their addie
because it occurred to me that what I wanted to say to them would be
even better if it was shared on the FML.

The poster had said she had luck with giving the Melantonin orally to
her ferret(s) in the past and didn't want to do implants because she
had heard they can have far lesser results. She also had heard that if
there needs to be adjustment with dosage, that is not possible because
you have to wait the full term of the current implant being used.

Now this is the direct opposite of what I've heard Melatek say, as well
as several vets and healthcare speakers at the IFC symposiums, and as
well as anecdotally from shelters. I have too limited of an experience
to form my own opinion. I tried the oral and did so with diligence
paying attention to the times, etc. Had no luck at all. I found out
that was common from friends and a few shelter operators. And never
heard the contrary. I switched to implants and saw a remarkable
difference, just as they did.

So I was curious, is there a true advantage to the oral? Why is it that
the Ferretonin is noted to be more effective, other than the fact that
it ensures doses aren't missed?