From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:00:24 -0700
This is, I'm sure, going to be a controversial post.  Please feel free
to skip over as much of it as you like, but I couldn't keep quiet any
longer.

There have been a number of posts recently expressing the opinion that
American ferrets are genetically inferior to others, and whether our
feeding of them is inferior, because they have more medical problems,
and more vet visits.  I can't argue with either statement - American
ferrets (many of whom come from a few larger breeders) *may* be inferior
genetically, and natural feeding *may* be healthier for ferrets,
however...

My point is this: personally, given the choice between living in a space
station with only other human beings to interact with, and living a
shorter time with humans, other animals, and plant life to relate to, I
would choose the variety.

Many people who are claiming superior care and/or genetics for their
ferrets house them in an entirely separate building, never take them out
on leashes, never give them free roam of the house.  In short, these
ferrets are not pets the way that I (and I believe most Americans) think
of pets.  I want to interact with my animals (who I usually call my
babies - four legged and furred, 3 ferrets and 1 cat).  I want to hold
them, play games with them, all of those things that I think enrich our
lives, as well as the lives of our pets.

I think that this interaction increases our awareness of small changes in
their habits.  For instance, if you're not near your ferrets throughout
the day and/or evening, how do you know if one doesn't use the litter box
for a few days?  I think this awareness gets them to the vet more often.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with another way of doing
things.  But I think that there are pros and cons to both, and making a
statement that American ferrets are inferior is over simplifying the
situation.

Non-flaming debate and comments welcome.  :)

Debbie