From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 15:52:58 -0500
Well, I've been on the FML continuously for quite a long time, (Chris Lewis
beats me to it, but can't recall anyone else here now who can say the same.)
and I just have to say how thoroughly PROUD I am about the way that the
discussion on saying thank you has been handled on the list.  I can't recall
any disagreement or tackling of an uncomfortable topic which has been
treated in such a civil and mutually supportive fashion on the list.  Yes,
opinions differed, but those who don't run shelters got a peek inside, and
those who do run shelters learned a perspective which will be increasingly
important to take into account as ferrets become more popular and the
numbers of critters needing help goes up.  Besides, what safer place to
learn than among friends?  It's probably time to close this discussion
unless someone has any novel pointers (Bill?), but I just wanted to say,
"Way to go, folks!".  It's great when things work so well.

Meltie has been trying a few hard crunchies (when we let her steal them from
the others) and that feels really good to us (except when she had one caught
and I accidently slashed a pinkie on a carnasial as I freed the piece.  Yep,
I did it myself; she is innocent, and I hid the danged thing from her so she
wouldn't freak.  It's lucky I don't dance or the men of the world would be
missing feet) Anyway, she's a riot because if she's in her own place she has
to have special soup, but if she gets into their cage (via parental
transport) -- let's just say all's fair in snerching and stealing and
stinking.

Her urethra still shows some blood, and she is not urinating as easily as
we'd like, but she acts as if she is more comfortable than last night and
the odor, color, and concentration of the urine she produces are reasonable:
thin, clear, with not a lot of odor and what odor there is is not "off".  So
far it looks good to be her bladder and not the kidneys.  She'll have amoxi
for a week if she lasts a week.

She is still losing weight, which seems pretty well impossible given how
thin she is, but that's the nature of being so far along with a terminal
illness.

This morning was a tough one for her and it's my fault.  I've since
reprogrammed the thermostat.  We had just been using the temporary setting
to keep it warm enough at night so that she has no more than a 2'F ambient
temperature change ever (a tip from Bruce Williams for which we still thank
him, and YES we did buy a new thermostat this year -- a Honeywell
Chromotherm III), but last night I forgot and we had a 5'F variation.  This
morning she had more syncope from her bigeminis.  I'm still kicking myself
because this bout could have been avoided.

Even happy things are kept in moderation now for her sake.  One of the BEST
things we found has been providing those very tiny (about 1" long) toy
catnip mice because once their eyes and noses are removed they provide a
great safe (for her) way for her to deal with frustration and that's bought
her quality time when she most needs it.  We recommend these for other stage
4 cardiomyopathy patients.

Sukie