Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 01:50:50 EDT
>This isn't really ferret related, but I remembered there being a
>discussion a while back on how to get rid of ants without using
>poison. I volunteer at a wildlife rehab, and we suddenly have an ant
>invasion in one of the raccoon enclosures. Spray is obviously out of
>The question

Hi ~

I'm an herbalist and I find that 2 things can help. First if you can
get to your herb store, get some crushed pennyroyal (no botanical name
needed). Get a few ounces of their crushed pennyroyal and sprinkle on
counter or wherever ants are. Concentrate on areas where the tracks go
in and come out. It's harmless to other animals and ants hate the
smell. Pennyroyal is a lovely matt-herb. It covers walkways in England
even today. It can be bought at most plant stores in the spring and
spreads quite rapidly, so don't buy a lot. Still if the problem
persists it will be good to grow your own.

Secondly I made up a spray to use against the big black bugs that
inhabit Maryland's eastern shore: take a spraybottle when it is empty
and wash it out. Add halfway full of water and 1/4th way of witch hazel
(this adds longevity to your spray). Add 10 drops of tincture of thyme,
oregano, and pennyroyal (ants and flies hate aromatic herbs). Tinctures
are already made up remedies available at good herb shops or health
food stores. I like Nature's Herb. Spray countertops each night. This
will not hurt other animals if you need to spray a corner of the floor
either.

Good luck!

Warmly ~
Mary L. Conley, Herbalist-N.D.