From:
katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:39:07 -0500
I too have been confused about this whole "rescue" (I am putting it in
quotes because I still haven't heard it stated whether these ferrets
were purchased!). This is being discussed all over the ferret community
and many of us have questions. I decided to try to compile the most
common questions I am hearing. For everyone's peace of mind, they
should be answered by Lori, or an authorized representative.

* Were the ferrets purchased? If so, how many and for how much money?
(this IS the business of the ferret community because donations were
requested)
* What agreement, if any, was made with Doug McKay and/or his family on
future ferret breeding? Is it an enforceable contract?

I too was confused by the "accounting" in yesterday's FML. Lori wrote:
>It is averaging $100 a ferret in vet bills alone: this includes
>distemper, rabies, coccidia test, ADV test and having them
>spay/neutered.
* Why is this being claimed by Lori as an expense ? It is my
understanding that the receiving shelters were footing the bills for
vacs, vet checks, desexing, ADV testing, etc.

According to Lori, the majority of the $33,000 was spent on "initial
setup of cages (water bottles, food cups etc.) ferret food, cleaning
supplies, water, electric, phone, plumbing for water faucet, rental of
U-haul, gas, meals for workers, and labor (because there was not enough
volunteers to keep up with the upkeep of the ferrets)."

I know cages were donated/purchased by others. I know lots of bedding
and supplies were donated. I know lots of food was donated. Based on
this, and since so many of the ferrets left that facility within a
few days, this amount is mind-boggling.
* Would you PLEASE give a detailed accouting for this $33,000? And, how
much of this $33,000 was in salaries for paid employees?

It was stated by Lori early on that she couldn't disclose any details
on the "rescue" with a lawsuit pending. She further said that she
would provide all details when the lawsuit was over. Well, it's been
announced that the lawsuit has been dropped.
* When are the details of this "rescue" forthcoming?

I "think" I remember initially that there were to be 800+ ferrets. I
recall the initial number was around 600 with a planned second trip
to get a couple of hundred more. Now the final number is below 600.
* Can you account for the different numbers of ferrets reported?
* Is the difference what the family kept to continue breeding?

As for accounting for the money, any non-profit is required to keep
an accounting of all funds coming in, and all funds going out, with
supporting documentation. This should be an easy thing to produce for
anyone who requests it. It seems that someone could put up a simple
website showing this.

I found this statement to be very insensitive to all of the shelters
and individuals who stepped up to the plate so willingly, and who
haven't seen the first dime in donations.
"If I receive more funds then expenses the profit will get divided up
between the other shelters that took the kids. Good news, Ferret's
Dream House is a 501(C)(3) organization and is tax deductible."

So many unanswered questions. So much speculation. So many rumors. So
many secrets. It all leaves a bad taste in many people's mouths. People
will remember this the next time someone comes to the ferret community
asking for help. Don't ruin it for future rescues. Please take a little
time and answer some questions.