From:
Juliana Quadrozzi - GA Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 22:51:56 -0500
When my phone rings I usually cringe expecting another "I got a ferret I got
to get rid of" call.  When it's a call about wanting to adopt, I'm still not
at ease until I've talked at length with the stranger on the other end of
the line.

Initially I have nothing to go on about the character of that individual
until I have a chance to feel them out through casual conversation & a
profile questionnaire that I ask permission to fill out on them.  So when
I'm contacted by a person who can't be bothered spending a little time on
the phone w/me, or someone who can't wait & has to have a ferret NOW, my
fosters will stay right where they are.

I think it's important for the 1st time owner to understand, at the very
least, the basics of ferret care & what to expect from a creature who will
spend the rest of his/her life w/them.  Animal lover or not, how can you
possibly make an informed decision about whether a pet is suited to you &
your lifestyle, or properly care for a pet w/out the information to do so?
I guess I've been conditioned to feel this way because of the number of
ferrets that have been turned in...like the guy who had a kit in a cardboard
carrier for 3 days because he was afraid to touch it.  I guess he didn't get
enough info from the pet store before he bought.

I don't ever want anyone who has adopted a ferret from me to come back & say
"I didn't know..." Potential adopters will know what I think they should
know, & leave w/printed info so they can't say "You never told me..."

First-timers are asked to come visit, experience, & learn about ferrets
before they adopt, especially when the ferret will be a personal pet of a
young adult.  They are informed before they come that they will go home
empty-handed.  This affords everyone in the family a chance to think
seriously about the important decision they will be making, taking
everything into consideration w/out the excitement of wardancing woozles.
The individual who finds our guidelines too much trouble usually say they'll
call back, but never do.

As for myself, I work a full-time job w/a 50 mile round-trip drive.  I spend
most of the rest of my time (except for the 5 hours sleep I afford myself)
doing ferret stuff.  I usually come home to at least 3 ferret-related msgs
every night.  I'm not only doing adoption/surrender calls w/individuals,
animal controls, & humane societies, I coordinate our foster homes...so I'm
on the phone A LOT.  I spend about half of all my Saturdays in the vets
office, then I haul pet food for us & a local cat/dog rescue, & pick up any
ferrets being held for me at animal controls/human societies.  I spend
what's left of my day doing errands.  Sundays I open my home to strangers
to drop off & adopt ferrets.  In between caring for my fosters - feeding,
watering, cage cleaning, rotating out-times (I currently have 8 fosters in
6 cages), supplemental hand feedings, medicating - I get around to the rest
of my life.

Why did you need to know all that?  Because I don't want you to be mad if I
don't call you back right away...or I forget to get back to you...or I don't
remember who you are in the dozens of people I talk to over the phone.  I
need you to understand that I have been dealing w/ferrets long enough, &
have come to know the fosters in my care well enough to determine who will
or will not be a good companion for you, your family, & your pets.  I
reserve the right to say no -- I've earned it.

I offer *my* time & wait around for people who don't show & don't have the
courtesy to call.  I open my home to virtual strangers & their families,
spending hours w/them while they interact w/the fosters.  I take into my
home, unwanted ferrets, infested w/fleas, in filthy, rusted cages.  I
provide a place for society's socially unacceptable ferrets.  I accept &
nurse sick & dying ferrets, & grieve over their loss.  I give up my time
because others don't have enough to give to their pets.

Do I _want_ to do this?  No, I chose to.  I wouldn't even be an issue if
there wasn't a need.  I wish we lived in a perfect world where our society
regarded pets as a privilege, not a disposable option.  I can only hope for
the day when I can come home & dedicate all my time & energy to my own.

**************************************
You wouldn't recognize Coco.  A while back I posted about this little
adrenal jill who came into our care as an almost completely naked, boney
sausage.  She's complete covered w/velvet fur - now you can tell she's a
chocolate - & she has plenty of meat covering those bones.  She's as happy &
energenic as ever.  She's very neat in her cage & is learning to give kisses
(w/the aid of a little Nutri-Cal lipstick).  She does seem to have one
little personality flaw...so far she hates ferrets.  But otherwise she's a
doll.  I thought I'd put this on an open forum instead of sending it
directly to the interested parties.  I didn't want to put anyone on the spot
if they wanted to bow out of the adoption offer.  Anyway, she's doing great
& is just one of the "special needs" fuzzies we have available for adoption.

A special "thank you" to Marsha Stanek for her contribution to our little
orphans.  The fuzzy gang sends lots of Nutri-Cal-sweet furry woozle smooches.

visit our web page at:  http://www.mindspring.com/~jcrow/gdfa/index.html