From:
Kevin Farlee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2010 23:44:48 -0800
>THOSE PRICES SOUND LIKE ITS MORE FOR YOU AND YOUR POCKET BOOK THAN IT
>IS FOR THE WELFARE OF THESE ANIMALS. NO WAY DOES IT COST ANYWHERE NEAR
>THIS AMOUNT FOR SPAY/NEUTER AND HUSBANDRY!

I went through our books at Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter a few
years ago in preparation for a presentation that I gave, and came up
with these figures.

Taking our costs for the year, and dividing them by the average
population, these are the approximate costs per ferret per year:

Vaccines           $20.00
Advantage          $20.00
Ivermectin         $10.00
Ear swabs, clean   $10.00
Exam, minor dental $35.00
Food               $75.00
Litter             $20.00
Lupron: 100mcg  120/yr,
        200mcgL 240/yr
                  $120.00
Other meds         $20.00
Total             $330.00

Bear in mind that we are able to get many of the medications at cost,
and that many shelters may pay more for these items. Also, figure
in rent if you're in your own space, or the portion of the home's
cost/heating/etc. that the shelter takes up, and the costs go up even
more.

When I get a message like that, I usually laugh and reply with how much
we spend per ferret, and back it up with figures if questioned. They
usually don't keep complaining too long.

Kevin Farlee
President
Washington Ferret Rescue & Shelter

NOLA Ferret Rescue