From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 13:38:00 EST
The only ferret mascot I know of is Pokey, the mascot of the Mass.  Colonial
Navy.  This is a ceremonial organization that marches in parades and attends
other "dress" events (no connection to Old Ironsides, a federal monument).
They dress in old time sailor garb and carry old banners in a fife and drum
line up.  The rationale for appointing Pokey is the reputed use of ferrets
on colonial warships as ratters and companions.  Pokey was appointed 5 or
more years ago and may not be alive still.  There hasn't been any recent
mention of him.  He is (was) owned by Bruce Deane White, the founder of the
United Ferret Organization (UFO).

The UFO charter claims to actively support ferret rights (I'm a charter
member).  Deane was disappointingly silent in our fight to legalize this
past year and years before.  To be fair, he did print 2 articles that Sharon
Burbine submitted or played some role in.  (The latest quarterly newsletter
arrived Monday and has an article on the front page asking people to write
in, covered partially by a sticker announcing the governor signed the bill
after the press run.) However, Deane has run the only licensed ferret
shelter in the state, at Assonet, MA, for 7+ years, which indicates to me he
has some pull.  I wrote him asking him to attend various hearings and he
never responded.  Tried calling too.  I don't know his reasons, but he just
didn't walk the walk.

Deane also runs Ferret World, a catalog sales company.  Decent products, but
a slightly limited selection.  Great catalog for ferret pictures though.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \

[Moderator's note: Mr. White has been discussed in some of the early FMLs
as well as on other services.  Let's just say that, umm, I don't ever recall
reading anything that was in the least bit flattering.  BIG]