Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 03:12:52 -0400
Jerry, one of our two original ferrets, will be seven years old in December.
Last summer we started noticing weight loss and hair loss.  Jerry was
treated for demodex mites, and the hair loss continued.  The University of
Tennessee adrenal test was positive.  She had a normal CBC, but a chem
screen showed low glucose (66) and decreased kidney function (BUN:51,
creatinine:.9, phosphorus 10.5).  Dr. Charles Weiss believes Jerry still has
a good chance of recovering from adrenal surgery, and we've scheduled the
procedure for Friday.  We've had trouble getting Jerry to eat, but for a
while she loved turkey canned cat food.  She stopped eating that a few days
ago and would only take Nutrical, Ferretbites, and pieces of dry food if
hand-fed.  Today she even refused the Nutrical; she also vomited, so we
panicked and took her to Dr. Weiss, who gave her a fluid injection and a
B-vitamin injection.  Tonight she will take some Nutrical but acts nauseous
afterwards.  She seemed very weak earlier this evening.  It's 3 a.m.  and
I'm still awake, keeping an eye on her.  She hasn't vomited for 7 or 8
hours, so maybe she has stabilized.  I keep giving her a little Nutrical at
a time, which she licks from my finger.  I'm wondering now if her kidney
function is declining fast and the stress of surgery will be too much for
her.  We want to do whatever is best for Jerry; until today we were
convinced that surgery was the best option, but now that seems less certain.

Clare Sebok