From:
Ferret Wise Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:59:29 -0500
PLEASE READ and Please be aware of the seriousness
      re: AVMA Veterinary Law 'Draft' proposal.

It will likely have *many* ramifications affecting just about everyone
who goes to a vet - including the vets.  I say this because it will no
longer be possible to us to consult with a holistic vet via the telephone
or internet --if this 'Draft' is accepted, as is.  As I read that
'Draft', it will be illegal for anyone to even *recommend or offer
advice* about *anything* having to do with animals - *unless* the
one who is *asking and receiving* the info is a Licensed Vet.

THIS WILL HAVE MAJOR imnpact on rescues & shelters, on those first time
owners who are in question of vet necessity.  Ramifications are that no
one will be able to answer questions else be sued, or fined.

AS Ferret education is barely broached in veterinary curriculums this
will KILL more of our beloved ferrets than save them.  Please check the
site, read the information and weigh my insight.  Am I wrong?  Read the
proposed Law, and let me know.

    http://www.avma.org/education/mvpa/default.asp

I would appear, that if this proposed Law 'Draft' goes through as is,
any of us who suggest helpful treatments which worked for our animal
companions -- and all the lay professionals who do so -- will be
*prohibited* from that, *and* dealing with others' animals.  Why?
Because, it will be "Practicing Veterinary Medicine without a License"
and therefore, illegal, placing any non-vets subject to prosecution and
fines.

Know any professionals who are not vets, but very good in their
particular field?  Folks such as: Herbalists, Chiropractors, Homeopaths,
Lecturers, Aromatherapists, Holistic Care Consultants, Flower Essence
Therapists, Animal Massage Therapists, Essential Oil Therapists, Reiki
practitioners, Distance Healers, TTouch practitioners, etc, -- anyone
who does almost anything with regard to animals in any mode - including
telephone, electronic, etc, -- and is not a Licensed Veterinarian, is
off limits to us --UNLESS we let our concerns be known!

Updated info is at the following Page:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/AVMADFT.HTM