From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:31:07 -0500
Today at lunch time when I went home to medicate and feed Krystal and
Ulysses, Krystal vomited with a trace of blood in it.  This was 10 minutes
after I gave her carafate (can't wait longer at lunch time as it is a 30
minute drive to work) and seconds after I gave her 6 cc's of food.  We've
been fighting this ulcer for 5 weeks now.  She's been on Carafate every 6
hours around the clock (or as close as possible) for 3 full weeks, had a
full course of Biaxin, 4 weeks of Amoxi, Pepcid at least twice daily, and
Pepto as needed as well as sub-q fluids as needed.  Feedings differ from
10cc's to 24 cc's, depending on how she feels at that time.  The ulcer
occured 4 days after her surgery and we've been battling it ever since.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  The most frustrating and heart breaking
part about this is that Krystal was very happy before I had her in for her
surgery.  I feel terrible that I put her through that when she seemed
otherwise happy.  Of course the growth had already attached to her liver,
but at least she felt good.  sigh.

On Ulysses Larry wasn't able to get the endoscope through the constriction
on the esophagus.  The constriction is where the esophagus empties in to
the stomach.  Larry was able to get a catheter, the size of the ink
cartridge in a ball point pen (maybe a tad bit larger), through but not the
next size up.  Ulysses did well and his heart is very strong so not a worry
about the anesthesia.  BUT the procedure did not stretch the constriction
so we are still feeding only 6 cc's at a time, although now that I know
exactly where the problem is, I make sure his entire body is in an upright
position when feeding and for 5-15 minutes afterwards.

Larry did mention a surgical procedure that might help.  He can cut the
muscle then stitch it cross ways which should not form constricting scar
tissue.  At least that's the way I understood what he was saying.

Any suggestions on either of these cases are welcome.

Hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity