From:
"Cooper, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 11:36:20 -0500
Hi,

I posted to the FML once before and got some great advice about "toilet
training."  I now have another problem, which I hope somebody can shed
some light on.

For background...Until 1-1/2 months ago, I had just the two healthy
4-year-old males, Stretch and Jerry, former MF research subjects (and both
neutered as young adults).  I then adopted two delightful males, now named
Klepto and Merlin, who are about 2 years old.  Coincidentally, at that same
time, I changed the ferrets' diet, having again found a source for Totally
Ferret - the four ferrets now get about 50% Totally Ferret, about 20% MF
Ferret Food, about 20% Eukenaba Kitten Chow, and a bit of 8-in-1.  I
haven't used Totally Ferret for a couple of years and never used the MF
before now.  Eukaneba Kitten Food and/or Iams Kitten Food have been staples
for years though (usually mixed about half-and-half with 8-in-1) .  Diet
may have nothing to do with the problem, but I want to cover all bases.

Stretch, one of my originals, has been very, very gradually declining since
these two changes.  He has lost weight and has had intermittent diarrhea.
(The others are having some diarrhea, too, off-and-on., but appear very
healthy).  His coat is coarser now and he seems to be losing some fur at
the base of his tail (though the flesh isn't showing through yet); he has
also developed some "blackheads" in that area.  He may seem a bit more
active than usual.  He was really put out by the addition of the new boys,
so I chalked his symptoms up to stress in the beginning, but stress
shouldn't be a factor now.

He just had a complete blood panel, which was normal except for an elevated
sodium and chloride (the vet says he is not dehydrated) and a high-normal
white blood cell count.  His stool sample didn't show anything.  The vet
did physical exams on the other three ferrets, too, and found nothing
concerning.  She's perplexed...thinks the Eukaneba might be a problem,; she
says it and Iams Kitten Chow are both high in sodium.  For her hypothesis
to be correct, however, Stretch would have to be selecting out the kitten
chow pieces, since the proportion of it in the food mix is actually lower
now.  Temporarily, he's being confined to a cage by himself with only
Totally Ferret to eat, to eliminate some of the variables.

I feel a little guilty posting this...others have problems that are so much
more serious.  But, having lost a ferret to insulinoma, I know how minor
symptoms can foretell big problems.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'd
love to hear from you.

Incidentally, I've always got my "ear to the ground" about research ferrets
that I might be allowed to pick up from medical colleges, etc.  (although
based on my most recent round of calls, most now seem to be using kittens
instead of ferrets for their intubation training programs).  I am, however,
in contact with one researcher who wants to start up a gene-research
project that would result in many ferrets needing homes.  If I ever again
find myself with a batch of research ferrets, I'll be posting here to seek
out good homes for them, especially in Missouri.

It's great to know that ferret lovers can stay connected on this web ring,
learn from one another, and support one another.  I feel so bad for the
people who post sad stories, especially about accidents.  Most if not all
seem to be very consciencious, thoughtful, intelligent individuals who did
something anyone of us might have done, or overlooked something seemingly
innocuous.  I hope they can forgive themselves and take pride in all the
good they have done for their ferrets, including even the ones that were
lost.  They have also educated the rest of us to dangers we may be
overlooking.

Sincerely,
Susan Cooper