From:
Roger Vaughn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 13:26:40 -0500
You're right, Mark, that's extremely negative.

Valerie gave up her ferrets on the condition that she would not be at
home to care for them.  She wanted them cared for properly and so adopted
them out.  She did not give them up because she was "tired" of them.  The
condition that (would have) prevented her from caring for them herself
has changed.  Should she be punished for that?  Should she be punished
because she *tried* to do what was best for her ferrets?

Valerie has every right to ask for those ferrets back - every one of them
if she so chooses.  She does not have the right to *demand* their return,
but asking nicely is well within her rights.  The new mom has just as
much right to decide for herself whether to keep them or return them.
This family already had ferrets - I don't think giving up the newcomers
will necessarily be as hard as you seem to think.

Look at it from Buckie's point of view if you prefer.  Sure, the little
guy is going through shelter shock, no question.  Should he be forced to
continue suffering just to salve your personal sense of justice, when
there is a perfectly workable solution available - i.e. returning him
to Valerie, his former mom?

I myself took in some ferrets not long ago from a girl who was no longer
able to keep them due to troubles with her apartment management.  We took
them in with the understanding that if her situation changed, she would
be able to ask for them back.  We would not *want* to return them, but
we would.  Is that concept so hard for you to understand?  Is it so
different from Valerie's situation?  If your only concern is for the
ferrets, then as I said, consider Buckie's feelings.  He obviously has
not adjusted to his new situation - is returning him to the home he
loves going to cause twice the shelter shock, or will it cure it?  I
think we both know the answer to that.

roger & the wolverine wannabees
missing bear