From:
Sharon Burbine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 21:11:41 -0500
Now that we will become legal on March 7, 1996, the Mass Friends Group has
its work cut out for it.  Some of the things we are working on is helping to
inform Fish and Wildlife and Public Health/Animal Health on ferrets.  They
will be setting the rules and regulations which will affect ferrets here in
MA.

Some of the information that has been requested by these two authorities are:

Any state/town/community that has a quarantine law.  They woud like a copy
of that existing law.  Especially one that spells out rules regarding
ferrets unknown history, i.e., if a ferret is found wandering the streets,
what is the law regarding, adoption procedures, quarantines (with or without
a bite).  (NOTE: Dick Bossart is sending all he has from New Hampshire -
thanks Dick).

Any written procedures on what to do in case of a bite with a known history
or unkown history.

Shelters - any written procedures on adoptions of "strays" or ferrets found
wandering.  Also, written procedures on adoptions of ferrets with a know
history.

Also, they need any existing rules or regulations in regards to breeders and
the MINIMUM facility guidelines for housing ferrets.

I also need from Veterinarians, written documentation on the shot series.
It is vitally important that these agencies know when the series of shots
have to be given and if they are given too early if they are considered
inaffective.

If anyone has any information about this please do me a favor and snail mail
it ASAP to:

Mass Friends of the Domestic Ferret Group
PO Box 3123
Wakefield, MA 01880

Thanks all.