Date:
Sun, 13 Mar 2011 18:42:22 -0700
I must come to Wolfy's defense in this dialog concerning Pigeon
keepers, racers, competitors etc-

Here at Critter Camp Exotic Pet Sanctuary we reacuse any pet other than
cats & dogs- which includes our average of 20 elderly & chronically ill
ferrets in their big free range room.

We love the fuzzies - they were our first family 'exotic' rescue pet
before we even dreamt of starting an organization.

Over the past 10 years we have also had many people bring us pigeons
that they found - usually after a storm. Some hurt some just
disoriented, all banded. There is a site http://www.pigeon.org/
where you can trace a band and try to get in touch with the owner.

Obviously many want their pigeons back. Unfortunately in our experience
only one pigeon owner came to retrieve his bird and was glad to find
him. The other dozen or so told us basically that the bird was not
worth their time because it was injured or didn't complete its
mission. They wouldnt spend the time or cost to get it only to put it
down/break its neck/feed it to their hunting dogs/ etc (their words.)

Now i don't purport to judge an entire community of people by these
instances, but it does give one pause.

So i do agree with Wolfy - Animal Planet does not need to glorify a
person with shaky animal care past, in a so called sport that is not
exactly in the animal's best interest.

I was not crazy about their stupid jockey show either - race horses are
not always well cared for- and who cares about the people who push them
sometimes beyond their abilities- sigh.

What I and I assume most other people want from Animal Planet is
ANIMALS - cute adorable interesting animals. not people - unless they
are people that care for animals - vets, rescuers, owner, researchers,-
not so called reformed people who have harmed animals in the past -
unless theya re donating a gazillion dollars to shelters, or
volunteering 50 hours a week to clean cages...

ok its been a loooong weekend- took in over a dozen new animals, all
needing extra care- no ferrets tho- but im sure we'll get a call on
some soon, and make room and love them and nurture them :)

Dook Dook,
Beth
www.crittercamp.org
Critter Camp Exotic Pet Sanctuary