Date:
Wed, 20 May 2009 10:33:39 -0400
Melanie, I am very sorry for your loss. I am still grieving the loss
of my Rocky, who has been gone nearly 2 months.

Regarding taxidermy, I personally would not like to look at my ferret's
dead body. In March, I did what Katherine suggested and put some of
Rocky's fur in a locket. I had saved his fur from the comb I used
whenever he was shedding. Though I didn't know if this was possible, I
thought if he ever lost his fur from adrenal disease, I could have a
friend spin his fur into yarn and make a sweater from his own fur.
Luckily I never had to do that, but I wanted to have some of his fur
for after he was gone.

After he was euthanized, I considered cremating him and putting some
of his ashes in the locket. Cremation was not only expensive and
cremtoriums difficult to get to, but I decided that I'd rather have
a reminder from his life, rather than his death, thus the fur in the
locket. I ended up burying him in a friend's "Pet Cemetery" [his
backyard] and plant a small pine tree, which I kept from Rocky's last
Christmas, on his grave. I am planning to also plant some tulips in
the future. Rocky has been laid to rest where my cat, Yoda, is and my
friend's dog, and his many cats, rabbits, pigeons and other animals. I
also have pictures of Rocky all over the apartment, and continue to
light a candle for him every night in a Buddhist statue.

Regarding euthanasia fees, I paid $275 and the vet claimed he didn't
charge me for the anesthesia. I think such a high fee adds insult to
injury when your beloved pet is leaving forever. I'd never had to have
this done before, and it was traumatic enough experiencing this, as I
held him throughout the procedure. The only thing I am thankful for was
that this vet did house calls, so Rocky died at home in my arms instead
of at a sterile vet's clinic.

As far as emergencies go, I live 1 miles directly north of the former
World Trade Center. After 9/11, I prepared a bag Rocky for emergency
evacuation, containing food, water, treats, Ferretvite, a blanket and
a toy. Since Rocky was only 7 mo. old at the time, he didn't have any
medications. I realize that it would be harder to evacuate the more
ferrets you have, but I'd sooner take my chances getting them out with
me than euthanizing them. Besides, if you are prepared, I think it
would take less time to leave with the ferrets than to euthanize them.
The funny thing is though I prepared for Rocky, I didn't prepare
anything for myself, not even my medications. But then, I always put
Rocky's needs first.

I'm glad that I decided not to leave FML. Even though I don't have any
ferrets at this point, I hope that I can be supportive and helpful to
others as so many of you have been to me.

Shron & Angel Rocky