From:
"Bill Looyen. (Ferretologist)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 1995 21:27:26 +1200
To whom it may concern

>But $80?!!!! for an animal who is suffering?  Outrageous!!!

During the 12 years of handling and playing with my little fluffie's, up to
a 100 all ages, I had several occasions were euthanasia was the absolute
final solution.  I remember an small Siamese female "Creame" invaded by
earmite (Otodectus) and this condition became complicated by a bacterial and
or fungal infection into the middle ear and then the brain.  This extremely
pain full condition caused her to go in to convulsions.  With the rainbow
bridge in sight it was all over in a hour, in this instance it happen at 3
AM......O''Boy.  Then I found out among my animal friends using a injection
wasn't always successful to be instant and not being licensed to use this
product I had to find a other way, which I dit.  Now as a routine, as the
occasion arise, I use a large plastic tray, a towel in the bottom and a
sheet of glass on the top.  I always keep a small bottle of "Chloroform" in
the freezer, to stop evaporation, and a 5 cc syringe.  Well ....  from there
on and a few tears put the animal in the tray and about 2-3 cc chloroform in
a corner on the towel and cover with the glass.  If the patient is still
conscious it will sniff around for a few seconds and then simply go's to
sleep without panicking.  I had one occasion were in a healthy litter 2
males at the age of 6 weeks showed paralyses, one on the right, and the
other one on the left side, a typical birth defect that didn't show up wile
they were small.  As they got older I had to make up my mind realising one
ken become very attached to animals in this state, especially being so
healthy like the rest of the litter, eating well, playing and even using
their toilet tray but they could not walk on 2 legs.  Medically the problem
could not be reversed and sins there fur started to wear on one side I made
up my mind.  After it was all over, one was stretched out in a quiet relaxed
posture and the other was curled up as if it had gone to sleep.....for ever.

P S.  Don't be to hasty, I have had them brought in from outside unconscious
and lifeless, mostly due to food poisoning, but with lots of love and tender
care came right again and lived for many years there after.

BILL