Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 05:41:36 -0800
I haven't been posting much lately, mostly because I have been very
busy with ferret projects and family business. Also I had a bit of
a medical problem. In one of my hospital visits (I had surgery
immediately prior to the NAVC vet conference), I caught a nasty
hospital-bred bug (MRSA). I got it in my throat and upper bronchial
tubes, probably during intubation or in recovery while on oxygen. I
was feeling the effects of it when I traveled to Idaho, but thought
it was just a cold and I treated it as such. However, it really kicked
in like a Missouri Mule soon afterwards and finally became impossible
for me to ignore. I've been in and out of the hospital for the last
few weeks because of it. Because of the MRSA, I was unable to go to
Michigan, and I offer my profound apologies to my friends up there. It
is very unusual for me to miss any ferret event. I've fought blizzards,
white-outs, and ice storms, attended events less than a week after
surgery, and go well out of my way to see people who ask me to stop, so
missing the people in Michigan was very unusual. Again, I am sorry and
I'll give your club preferential treatment the next time you ask. Also,
because it makes you feel really really bad, I haven't been reading
much email. I'll catch up later this week.

Anyway, please don't worry about the MRSA problem. Once the cultures
came in, I was placed on the correct antibiotics, the little beasties
are dying by the millions (I can hear them scream), and I am well on
the road to recovery. MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus
aureus) is a staph bacteria that is highly resistant to certain
antibiotics and evolved in the hospital environment. It has since
spread into more public forums, including gyms and places where people
sweat a lot and touch stuff. I didn't know I had MRSA; I was in fact
wrongly diagnosed at first and it was only when I -- being very grumpy
and dead tired of being ill -- snapped at a doctor and implied he was
so incompetent that I should see a vet, did anyone consider doing a
culture. All this time, I had been playing with my ferrets and other
animals. Once I got the "Oops Call" from the doc, I had to carefully
inspect ALL my animals for any chance I could have spread MRSA to them.
This was especially important for Kahlua and Rummy, who are currently
pregnant, but with the scratches and bites ferrets can give to each
other, I had placed them at risk for a nasty staph infection. Thank
God, Darwin and the stars that I practice excellent hygiene, because
not a single animal was infected.

My trip to California is coming up soon. I will be in Pasadena CA March
24 and Sacramento CA March 31. I will be driving through Oklahoma,
Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona on my way out (I-70W to I-35S to I-10W),
and if weather allows, Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, and Kansas on
my way home (I-80E to I-25S to I-70E). For ethical reasons, I cannot
show the presentations I will be giving in Pasadena and Sacramento,
but I can show others, or just give a short talk on a subject of your
choice. I could even give the presentations I gave at the veterinary
conference if you like. As always, first asked, first accepted. If
interested, ask and I can give you a visitation day and approximate
time.

My last posts on the Diet 201 series are in my fact-checker's hands and
when they are returned, I will start posting them. I didn't want big
gaps in posting, and since my new fact-checker is a bit slow, I elected
to finish everything prior to posting anything. I will be doing it a
bit differently compared to Diet 101 where I just went through
everything from A to Z like a lecture. This time, I will be borrowing
from my Q&A format. The basic format will start with a question (I
had to ask some questions myself because I've never been asked them
before), a short complete answer, and then a more detailed explanation.
Each post will be on a specific topic, such as a "The Raw Truth About
Foods," or "A True and Honest Assessment of Risk from Various Foods."
I will not answer ANY question while the posts are being posted, but
will save them to the end and answer all at one time. Part of this is
because many questions will be answered in later posts, but also
because it makes it easier on me.

Because of FML post-length restrictions and a continuing problem of
plagiarism, I will pull out the references (it makes it hard to ready
anyway). However, I will have a referenced copy that I will make
available to bona fide researchers or vets, deciding each request
on a case-by-case basis. I am protecting the material because there
is a good chance it will be published later after some reworking and
expansion to a few other species.

One last thing about the diet posts. I WILL NOT ARGUE WITH ANYONE! I
will, as I've said, answer questions, but I will not get drawn into a
sophomoric argument based on supposition or opinion. You can either
believe the stuff I post or not. I have spent four months writing these
posts and I have done my homework to the level of a thesis. I use
proof-readers, fact-checkers, and the newest books (one book alone cost
me $247, and I bought 4 books for this project) and the latest journal
references (some from 2007). Do not misunderstand; I heartily encourage
and support true open debate. Good debate, where people are polite and
offer opposing and supported arguments, always HELPS a discussion.
Poor debate, such as when someone ignores hard questions, or calls
duplicated research "an hypothesis" while promoting supposition and
opinion, HURTS a discussion.

If FML members debate the subject and it remains positive, I will NOT
get involved. This is because I don't want to intimidate FMLers, I am
saying enough already, I know other people have good things to say, I
don't actually have to comment on everything on the FML, and because
I plan to answer questions after the last posting. However, if the
debate turns negative, I will energetically and rapidly point out the
discussion has taken a wrong turn. I sincerely hope people will debate
what I have to say. Just be nice to each other, back up your opinions
with some published facts (just because a vet or a kibble maker said so
does NOT make it a fact!), and allow others to express their opinion
without fear or verbal reprisal.

Bob C