From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 1995 19:09:34 -0400
Hello all,

I would like to start a project and need the help of all states in the union.

I would like to get legislation passed in all areas where ferrets are (and
will be legal) which states that ferrets can not be sold to the public through
pet shops until they have their adult teeth (usually 8 weeks of age).  There
have been too many postings of late where ferrets are being obtained at way
too early an age, and the pet shops are not to blame - they are just selling
what the distributor is supplying them.  But try asking Marshall Farms, Path
Valley and other ferret breeders selling to pet shops to STOP shipping them
out so young and all they do is lie and say it isn't so.

I've had enough.  Puppies and Kittens are protected in this manner in most
states, and it would be very easy to have ferrets added.  I'm going to start
off by writing the USDA about this inclusion in the Animal Welfare Act, but to
get the ball rolling faster, we really need to address each state
individually.

To help me - please research your state's animal control bible.  For example,
Michigan put it into LAW when ferrets were legalized that they have to be a
certain age before sale in pet shops.  Maine has a booklet called "Animal
Welfare Laws" put out by the Maine Dept of Agriculture (which I have a copy
of).  I NEED ADDRESSES/COPIES of State animal laws and I need YOU ALL to get
them for me.

If you want to help, please E-MAIL me privately at [log in to unmask] (do not
bog down the FML) and I can give more details.  I am willing to start the ball
rolling, and as I address each state individually, I will let the FML know who
is being asked to protect ferrets and that those residents will need to send
in their support (and I'll have the addresses to post then too!).

This effort will be a single minded goal.  I'll not tag on items like
quarantines or manditory rabies vaccinations.  If we can get ferrets listed in
state animal control books/laws with puppies and kittens, then we will be able
to add on later for other benefits for the ferret.

It's not like I have nothing better to do, but this effort will take time and
I might as well get started on it now and see how it goes.

Thank you in advance for your support and assistance.

Pam Grant
Shelters That Adopt & Rescue Ferrets
PO Box 1714
Springfield, VA 22151-0714