From:
Chuck Renaud <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 11:21:04 -0600
I checked the last couple months' worth of posts and hadn't seen mention of
this, so my apologies in advance if this has been discussed before.

Some pet stores in our area just started carrying a product called Carnique.
Web address is http://www.carnique.com/.  It's evidently been out for at
least several months, but this is the first time I've come across it in a
store.

The product is basically freeze-dried (or frozen) meat patties, with
different labels for cats, dogs and ferrets (though the ferret and dog
appear to be identical formulas).

Was wondering if other people had tried this and what their opinions were.

Most of the stuff on their packaging is on the web page, so I'll spare
reproducing it all here.  I'll pass on what isn't on the web page, but is
on the sample packaging:

INGREDIENTS
Meat by-products, beef, cereal food fines - with vitamins and minerals
added.

They list all the ingredients on the full-size packages, but I haven't
picked one up yet until I find more out about the product.  $18 for a
"ten-patty pack".

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude protein, minimum  44.0%
Crude fat, minimum      28.0%
Crude fiber, maximum     2.8%
Moisture, maximum        3.0%

Again, they give a more comprehensive list on the full-size packages.  The
most noticeable difference between the cat and dog/ferret formulas is the
ash level...I believe the former is around 3% and the latter much higher,
around 14%.

Would be very interested in hearing what others think about it, especially
those who have actually tried it with their pets.

Thanks in advance,

Chuck