From:
Chip Gallo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1993 23:55:31 -0400
> From:   Bill Gruber <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      More on GEnie
>
> Well, just logged on to GEnie and whadda ya' know, there's an announcement
> of rate changes effective 7/01.  Tow things of note here:
>
> 1) The internet surcharge is going to be dropped.

Geez, I musta been reading someone's mail ...

> 2) Reading the Pet-Net stuff there will now be charged by the hour instead
>    of being included in a flat monthly rate.

Arrgg! The best "bang for the buck" online service is shooting itself
in the foot. Shades of Progeny, er, Probably. Prodigy(r).

[Makes one wonder - they see something's successful and they start charging
extra.  This runs close to my personal "line" for disallowing uploads of
the FML.  Charging an hourly rate to read FML uploads specifically
is across the line...]

> I don't want to get into GEnie's rate structure here... for one, I suppose
> it is copyrighted.  Send me private email if you need info.

Actually, Roger's article should be real specific about this. Many ferret
owners (and other pet folks) are on strict budgets? How else to afford
the little beasties? And an online service who entices you with unlimited
BBS time and then jacks up the vigorish--well, I say get an internet feed
and to heck with them. Just scoop up rec.pets [and start rec.pets.ferrets],
the FML, some FidoNet stuff, whatever.

Boardwatch Magazine has a very interesting article on Prodigy and how much
they lose each month. GEnie doesn't have as much of an excuse for rate hikes,
because General Electric has the GE Information Service during the day to
pay the bills.

Anyway, thanks for the update, Bill.

Chip